Requirements for the MA in English
_____ Course Requirements (9 graded courses)
Semester Course # Course Title
1. _____ _____ ENCR 801 Introduction to Literary Research (required)
2. _____ _____ ENMD/RN/EC ______ ___________________________________________ pre-1800
3. _____ _____ ENMD/RN/EC ______ ___________________________________________ different pre-1800
4. _____ _____ ENCR_______________ ___________________________________________ criticism or theory
5. _____ _____ EN _________________ ___________________________________________
6. _____ _____ EN _________________ ___________________________________________
7. _____ _____ EN _________________ ___________________________________________
8. _____ _____ EN _________________ ___________________________________________
9. _____ _____ EN _________________ ___________________________________________
_____ Distribution Requirement
2 courses in different areas of literature before 1800
1 course in Criticism or Theory
______ Place-holder Courses: In your second semester, you must register for ENXX 991; in your third semester, register
for 6 hours of ENGL 897; in your optional fourth semester, register for 12 hours of ENGL 897.
_____ Foreign Language Requirement: MA students are required to demonstrate reading proficiency in a foreign language relevant to their course of study. This is normally done by passing a translation exam given by the appropriate language department at the University. My language exam was in ____________________________ (language) and passed on ______________________________.
Or students may satisfy the Masters requirement with courses taken as an undergraduate: twelve semester hours at any level, with a grade of B or better in the final six hours; or a grade of B or better in intermediate or advanced course work. _________ Check here if you have received approval from the Director of Graduate Studies to use undergraduate courses to fulfill this requirement. I took ________ semester hours of __________________ (foreign language) at _________________________ (undergraduate institution).
_____ MA Final Exercise: Successful completion of one of the following three options (circle your option).
1) Write a critical thesis (in your 3rd semester, register for ENGL 895 as one of your 9 graded courses)
2) Write a pedagogical thesis (same as above: ENGL 895 in your 3rd semester as one of your 9 courses)
3) Take a one-hour oral examination on a topic and list of readings devised by the student and approved by the appropriate area committee chair and the Director of Graduate Studies*
*Students admitted for PhD study who have completed all other requirements may apply for conferral of the MA in English upon passing either of the PhD qualifying examinations (Period or Field); they are not required to take a separate MA oral exam.